Parent page: Using GUI Forms in TestComplete
Even though automation scripts are intended to drive the application under test there are cases when communication with tester is required. With TestComplete, we have a vast arsenal of predefined GUI controls for that (and those, acquainted with Delphi, will be pleasantly surprised by the way it’s organized).
Today’s post provides an example of creating and using dialog with custom event handlers – whenever script user provides input, event handler may be used to provide a customized response.
In the scope of the exercise let’s use the following task.
- Setup form prompts to choose an environment where test plan is to be run
- User can choose one of predefined environments: DEV, SIT, UAT
- Receives a response as a url of the environment
- User can leave suggested by default test data file or can type filepath directly
Preparing Modal Form
We begin with a sample form.
Add Edit Controls, Buttons, and Labels
Set Object Properties
- Name – object name to use in the code; ‘Security’ in my example
- Caption – title of the window when the form is displayed
- Caption – displayed text
Edit Box Control
- Name – object name to use in the code; ‘ShowUrl’ in my example
- Text - initial value
- ReadOnly = True – because user can’t input Url directly
Combo Box Control
- Name – object name to use in the code; ‘Environment’/’TestData’ in my example
- Properties.Items – items to select; ‘DEV’, ‘SIT’, ‘UAT’ in my example
- ItemIndex = 0 – initial selection
- Properties.DropDownListStyle = lsFixedList – for Environment combobox
- Properties.DropDownListStyle = lsEditList – for TestData combobox
- Caption – displayed text; ‘OK’/’Cancel’ in my example
- Cancel = True – for ‘Cancel’ button
- ModalResult = mrCancel – for ‘Cancel’ button
- Default = True – for ‘OK’ button
- ModalResult = mrOK – for ‘OK’ button
Set Event Handler
Public Sub Setup_Environment_OnChange(Sender) Dim sEnvironment sEnvironment = UserForms.Setup.Environment.Text Select Case sEnvironment Case "DEV" UserForms.Setup.ShowUrl.Text = "http://dev/" UserForms.Setup.TestData.Text = "W:\Test Suite\Data\DEV.xlsx" Case "SIT" UserForms.Setup.ShowUrl.Text = "http://sit/" UserForms.Setup.TestData.Text = "W:\Test Suite\Data\SIT.xlsx" Case "UAT" UserForms.Setup.ShowUrl.Text = "http://uat/" UserForms.Setup.TestData.Text = "W:\Test Suite\Data\UAT.xlsx" End Select End Sub
Public Function Form1() Dim objDlg Dim sEnvironment, sTestData Dim Result 'Get object's instance Set objDlg = UserForms.Setup 'Execute Result = objDlg.ShowModal If Result = mrOK Then 'retrieve the selected input sEnvironment = objDlg.Environment.Text sTestData = objDlg.TestData.Text Else 'Respond MsgBox "Execution cancelled", vbOKOnly 'exit function or finalize execution End If End Function